Presenting an ambitious and free programme of family favourites, timeless classics and blockbusters, in partnership with Essential Edinburgh, and supported by Johnnie Walker and Event Scotland, the Festival makes a long-awaited return to one of the city’s most iconic locations, St Andrew Square, with ‘Film Fest in the City’ between 19th and 25th August.
Film Fest in the City is the UK’s largest free outdoor cinema event, produced by Edinburgh based event specialists Unique Events for Edinburgh International Film Festival!
The 74th edition of EIFF runs from 18 to 25 Aug 2021. Film Fest in the City runs from 19 to 25 Aug.
ALL Film Fest in the City screenings will be captioned.
*New* Event Update - Free Walk-Up Entry Announced
Film Fest in the City is pleased to announce that we will allow free un-ticketed entry to all screenings by walk-up on a first come, first served basis, subject to availability of space. On arrival, please make your way to the ‘Event Entrance’ located on the south-west corner of St Andrew Square (Jenners’ Entrance).
Existing Ticket Holders
If you are a Film Fest in the City ticket holder, you are guaranteed entry. On arrival please make your way to the ‘Ticket Holder Event Entrance’ located on the south-west corner of St Andrew Square (Jenners’ Entrance). However, please arrive at least 15 mins before the film start time otherwise we will reallocate your space.
Please be assured that despite recent changes to restrictions, the capacity of our film screenings will not change, providing plenty of comfortable viewing space and safety measures in place for both audiences and staff.
Thursday 19 Aug
12pm - The Wizard of Oz (1939) (U)
2.45pm - Clueless (1995) (12)
5.30pm - Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) (12A)
8.15pm - Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977) (U)
Friday 20 Aug
12pm - The Goonies (1985) (12A)
3pm - Lessons of the Hour (2019) (12A)
6.00pm - Edinburgh’s Talking About Jamie - A unique and inclusive outdoor celebration event preceding the Special Preview of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie at Festival Theatre.
8.30pm - The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) (12A)
Saturday 21 Aug
11am - Grease (Sing Along) (1978) (PG)
2pm - Mamma Mia! (2008) (PG)
5pm - Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) (12A)
7.15pm - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (PG)
Sunday 22 Aug
11am - Frozen (Sing Along) (2013) (PG)
1.45pm - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (U)
4.45pm - Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) (U)
8.00pm - Amélie (2001) (15)
Monday 23 Aug
12pm - A League of Their Own (1992) (PG)
3pm - Restless Natives (1985) (PG)
5.30pm - Bend It Like Beckham (2002) (12)
8.30pm - Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) (15)
Tuesday 24 Aug
12pm - Singin’ in the Rain (1952) (U)
2.45pm - Murder on the Orient Express (1974) (PG)
5.45pm - Moulin Rouge! (2001) (12A)
8.45pm - Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) (15)
Wednesday 25 Aug
12pm - Casablanca (1942) (U)
2.45pm - Sleepless in Seattle (1993) (PG)
5.30pm - Hairspray (2007) (PG)
8.15pm - Superman (1978) (PG)
Filmbankmedia have provided the film licensing for our outdoor screenings for this season. They are the market leader in Non-Theatrical film licensing in the UK and internationally, representing major Hollywood studios and over 20 independent distributors. With a wide range of over 15,000 titles in their catalogue, there’s a film for every occasion. If you would like to organise a screening in a Non-Theatrical setting, be it outdoor, drive-in or an indoor venue, please contact Filmbankmedia for more information.
Event Terms & Conditions of Entry
The safety of everyone attending Film Fest in the City is our highest priority and we continually liaise with the local authority and emergency services (including Police Scotland) during the event planning process. We want our events to be as safe as possible for all attending, but we need your co-operation to comply with government guidelines and health advice for the safety of yourself and others:
- Any persons under the age of 16yrs must be accompanied by an adult 18yrs+
- Camping chairs are not permitted, please bring a picnic blanket or similar
- Please do not attend the event if you or any member of your household are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been told to self-isolate, or if you have been in contact with anyone from outside your household who is displaying symptoms
- Social distancing measures will be in place, clearly sign-posted and enforced by staff. Please adhere to them for your own safety and the safety of others
- Picnics welcome but NO ALCOHOL may be brought into the event arena
- NO GLASS may be brought into the event arena
- For the SAFETY AND COMFORT of all our guests, we may conduct security searches of clothing, bags and all other items on entry and exit to this event
- Please be aware that large rucksacks and suitcases are not permitted into this event
- Please use bins provided for rubbish and clean up any litter
- On entering the event you consent to official filming, photography and sound recordings as members of the public, which may be used in future promotions by organisers
- The use of professional cameras and any audio / video recording equipment by the public is strictly prohibited at the event
- No pets allowed – Assistance Dogs only
- Organisers reserve the right to make changes to advertised event time(s) and schedule(s)
- Organisers reserve the right to implement any restrictions/conditions deemed necessary before and during the event to ensure the safe management of the event