Edinburgh International Film Festival (EIFF) supports the collective Edinburgh Festivals Carbon Reduction Route Map and commits to work towards the silver route for emissions reductions.
- Filmhouse, home of Edinburgh International Film Festival, will be run on 100% renewable electricity by 2023, transferring to a 100% renewable energy supplier when current contracts expire.
2. Travel and Transport in Edinburgh and internationally by audiences and artists, through digital development, active travel and low-carbon options.
- Edinburgh International Film Festival will aim to reduce travel emissions, which account for the most significant part of our carbon footprint, over the next five years, by 10%, year on year.
Buildings (festival owned venue and offices)
CMI owns the primary venue for the Edinburgh International Film Festival. Although EIFF uses a number of venues throughout Edinburgh, including outdoor locations for outdoor film screenings, the primary usage of energy throughout the period of the Festival is at Filmhouse, Lothian Road. Filmhouse will be transferring to a 100% renewable energy supplier, such as Good Energy, when current energy contracts expire.
Travel and Transport in Edinburgh and internationally by audiences and artists, through digital development, active travel and low-carbon options.
We will work with partners, delegates, audiences, staff and volunteers to reduce the carbon output associated with travel for EIFF, continuing work started through COVID-19 to use digital technology to reduce the need for flights in the long term, while protecting the artistic integrity of EIFF. We will;
- Encourage our audiences to use active travel and public transport to attend events by including messaging around sustainable travel in our website, literature and booking process.
- Encourage our staff to use active travel and public transport throughout the festival.
- Reduce the amount of domestic flights taken by staff through the calendar year using digital meeting alternatives.
- Develop carbon emission tracking for our volunteers and delegates to properly capture our associated carbon footprint
Targets: By 2025 we will have switched to a 100% renewable energy supplier who provides a percentage of carbon neutral gas at our main festival venue, Filmhouse. By 2025 we will have reduced our carbon footprint associated with staff and artist travel by 10% each year bringing us in line with pre-2018-19 estimates for core operational travel, accounting for a possible overall increase as we better capture data associated with external venues, delegates and volunteers.
Beyond Carbon Reduction
Edinburgh International Film Festival will develop artistic programming that focuses on the theme of Environmental Sustainability, recognising our privileged position to encourage audiences to join the conversation, lower their own carbon emissions and think creatively about topics like climate justice.